Competition Rules For Season 2020 2021
Digibox Camera Club (Season 2020 – 21): Digital Projected Image (‘DPI’) And Print Competition Rules
The following document details the club’s competition rules for the benefit of all members.
• All images must have been taken by the club member entering them.
• All images must have been originally captured within 3 years of a competition date.
• Each image may be submitted only once to the regular monthly competitions. However, images may be resubmitted to the end of season “Image of the Year” competition, or for use in ‘battles’ against other clubs.
• Any format of camera/phone may be used, the key criteria is that the resultant electronic image must be converted to JPEG/JPG format for the DPI competition entry.
• No RAW files may be submitted for competition.
• A maximum of 4 images may be entered into a monthly competition.
• No competitor name or copyright marking must be displayed on the face of a submitted image.
• Club competitions are either ’Open’ – meaning any image, meeting the other rules, can be entered. Or ‘themed’ – where a specific area of life or photographic interpretation is required.
• All competitions are notified in advance through the club’s annual calendar and reminders are given in advance of an upcoming competition.
Novice Support/Critique (new for 2020 – 21)
To support the development of new/novice members without the rigours of competition, novice members may submit up to 4 images for critque by the presiding competition judge. The judge will be advised in advance that these images are submitted for advice, support and encouragement only and are not to be compared/scored against the other entries.
Novice in this context has a flexible meaning; broadly covering all new and/or inexperienced members who are seeking the views of an external expert in a friendly environment away from a competitive arena.
Images must meet the DPI sizing and naming conventions detailed below to ensure they are compatible with the club’s software (committee help will be available to do this).
Submission deadlines for this novice group will be notified during the club’s season.
• All competitions will be judged by a visiting guest judge (or a club officer; who is then excluded from entering that particular competition).
• The presiding judge is permitted to decide if a particular image falls within the ambit/spirit of a ‘themed’ competition.
• The judge will be requested to score all images at the end of each competition.
• Points won in each competition will be aggregated throughout the club’s season with a number of annual prizes awarded.
• To assist in deciding competition winners, where a judge awards several top scores during a competition, the presiding judge will be asked to identify just one of the top scoring images as the evening’s overall winner. No additional points will however be awarded to this image.
The Current Competitions And Prizes
~ Photographer of the Year – the club member who scores most points totalled across the six main DPI competitions plus the Printed Image competition.
~ Digital Projected Image Trophy – the club member who accumulates most points across the six main DPI competition nights.
~ The George Sedgeley Memorial Image of the Year Trophy – the member who has the best image judged in the image of the year competition.
~ The Printed Image Trophy – the club member who has the highest scoring printed image in this competition. Where there are two or more printed images receiving the same top score, the presiding judge will identify one of the printed images as the overall winning image.
~ Best Novice Trophy – a committee decided award based on progression and contribution to the club. It will be open to all members joining DigiBox in the current and two previous seasons (i.e. last three club seasons).
Printed Image – Requirements
The entry requirements for the Printed Image competition are
• It is an ‘open’ entry competition.
• The maximum printed image size is A3.
• All printed images must be mounted.
• The competitor’s name must be recorded on the rear of the mount.
• The exact same image may not be entered into one of the 6 DPI comps and then also entered into the Printed Image competition.
• If a member wishes to use a Printed Image as one of their Image of the Year competition entries that is acceptable. But it must be entered as a digital file copy of the particular image to ensure all Image of the Year entries are judged in a common format.
Digital Projected Images – sizing and entry requirements
• All images must be 1. RE-SIZED and 2. NAMED so they work with the projector and the competition software the club uses. The maximum image size is 1920 pixels x 1080 pixels (further practical notes are available to help with the naming convention and re-sizing).
• Each image must be titled using the following convention PICTURE TITLE by Member Name with single spaces between each word (for example – SAX PLAYER by Richard Purvis ) to ensure competition software identifies an image.
• All images must be provided to Digibox equipment officer 7 days before a competition via a memory stick.
Changes to Club Rules
Any changes to club rules will be proposed at the club’s AGM, discussed and agreed/rejected by club members at that meeting. Changes will take place the following season.
Last updated 9th November 2020 for Season 2020 – 2021